To view more photos from the event, click here.
The Art Academy of Cincinnati announces two new transformational scholarships: the Carson E. Smith Scholarship and the William E. Villa Scholarship. Smith and Villa were both graduates of the Art Academy of Cincinnati and remembered the school in their end-of-life plans.
William E. Villa enrolled at the Art Academy in 1963 and studied drawing and painting, sculpture, visual techniques, graphic design, art history, and color theory. While a student, he worked as a photography lab technician. As a graduate, he began his career as a television news photographer for WKRC. He filmed, edited and produced local news stories.
In 1970, just four years after graduation, he moved to San Francisco and worked in the production of secondary school educational films. He was a television production specialist for the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and a recipient of a national HUD photography award.
In 2000, he made his home in Kula, Hawaii. Photography served him well in his profession. Throughout his life, he stayed connected to his creative, artistic side, especially regarding the Art Academy training in graphic design and color theory. He continued to paint and draw; he created stained and fused glass. Just before his untimely death in 2010, William had plans to create an art studio.
Carson Smith graduated from the Art Academy of Cincinnati in 1957 with a degree in Design and Portraiture. As an Art Academy student, Carson met William Henschel, an Art Academy instructor and Rookwood Pottery artist, who recognized Carson’s talent and helped him get a summer job at Rookwood Pottery that lasted for many years both before and after his service in World War II. He earned the Purple Heart for his service to his country during the Okinawa invasion.
His career embraced beauty. He created intricate three-dimensional designs for cigarette cases, pocket watches, and cosmetic cases. Smith was known for his designs at Wadsworth Watch Case Company and Helena Rubenstein Cosmetics. It was not unusual to see celebrities and royalty using items he designed.
His most notable design was the Cadillac emblem – a shield with traditional figures of heraldry. While the emblem has evolved over the years, his design is still the foundation of what Cadillac continues to use.
Until his retirement in 1990, Carson worked as an interior designer at Greiwe Interiors, where he was recognized with a national award for the original Pigall’s restaurant in downtown Cincinnati.
The Scholars Celebration, October 3, 5-6:30 at the Art Academy, will recognize significant scholarships and the students who receive them. Art Academy students received financial support from
- AAC Alumni Scholarship
- AAC Portfolio Awards
- John E. & Mary Ann Butkovich Scholarship,
- Cincinnati Art Club Scholarship,
- John Fisher/Leonard Sive Traditional Painting Scholarshp
- Franklin Folger Memorial Trust
- Gary Gaffney/Jacqueline Wollman Award
- Omer T. Glenn Scholarship
- Edie & Charley Harper Scholarship
- Helms Trust Purchase Award
- Fannie Isidor Scholarship
- Carolyn & Julius Magnus Family Award
- John & Judy Ruthven Scholarship
- Carson E. Smith Scholarship
- William E. Villa Scholarship
- Bertha Langhorst Werner Scholarship
- Stephen H. Wilder Scholarship
Art Academy 2017 Scholarship Recipients are
- Andrea Bacca, Bristol,VA
- Cody Bechtol, Cheviot, OH
- Caroline Bell, Turpin Hills, OH
- Bruce Bennett, St. Paul, MN
- Kaitlin Burke, Hudson, OH
- Lauren Castillo, Greensboro, NC
- Mandy Clements, Greenville, NC
- Madison DeAtley, Loveland, OH
- Joseph DiMario, Cincinnati, OH
- Taylor Dorrell, Westerville, OH
- Claire Flath, West Chester, OH
- DJ Gathers, Madisonville, OH
- Zach Gibson, Covington, KY
- Sydney Greene, Union, KY
- November Hardy, Madisonville, OH
- Sam Holloway, Carmel, IN
- Jen Horsting, Loveland, OH
- Abriljoanna (April) Huerta, Fairfield, OH
- Aubre Lightner, Evanston, OH
- Noel Maghathe, White Oak, OH
- Nicole McClure, Tulia, TX
- Hailee McElroy-Herin, Clifton, OH
- Nikki Nesbit, Newport, KY
- Jack Nichols, Madisonville, OH
- Sabrina Pachla, Warren, MI
- Cecilia Padilla, Fairfield, OH
- Hannah Parker, West Price Hill, OH
- Audrey Patterson, Mount Juliet, TN
- Cody Perkins, Hebron, KY
- John Platt, Walnut Hills, OH
- Sydney Rains, Covington, KY
- Tez Robertson, Over-the-Rhine, OH
- Kane Sargent, Lucasville, OH
- Carly Simendinger, Lebanon, OH
- Vera Thornbury, Price Hill, OH
- Tiffany Tran, Verona, WI
- Savannah Vagedes, Ludlow, OH
- Sophia Velasco, Fisher, IN
- Julia Waldorf, Fairfield, OH
- Taylor Wellman, Amanda, OH
- Mal Wesley, Over-the-Rhine, OH
- Harris Wheeler, Lexington, KY
- Althea Wiggs, Lexington, KY
- Lindsay Wiles, Blanchester, OH
- Andre Wilson, Westwood, OH
- Katelyn Wolary. Wilmington, OH