Future BFA Preparation Program
AAC's Future BFA prep program is an opportunity for you to build your portfolio, explore your interests, and develop artistic skillsets to prepare for college review. Find your artistic voice while creating with your peers and professional artists and designers through interdisciplinary studios and creative challenges. As a Future BFA student, you'll prepare for college portfolio reviews while honing in on your own artistic vision and style. Enjoy your summer on our historic Over-the-Rhine campus and experience what it feels like to be an artist, designer, and student at the Art Academy of Cincinnati.
AAC's Future BFA is a portfolio prep program for incoming high school sophomores, juniors, seniors, and recent graduates who are interested in getting their Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in art or design. This 3-week summer intensive gives students a chance to get their first experience of art school in an innovative, inclusive, and supportive environment. Combining technical and concept-driven studio classes students will be exposed to a variety of media, ideas, and creative challenges
Equipped with advanced studios, shops, and labs students are able to discover more about themselves, their art, and develop a comprehensive portfolio for college review. A wide range of faculty members and studio mentors with diverse expertise guide students through innovative courses and reviews. All students are provided with shared studio space to create after class and are taken outside of the studio to interact with social practice projects, the city of Cincinnati, and behind the scene tours of local museums and contemporary art galleries.
Choose between 2 interdisciplinary Pathways:
- Fine Art
- Fine Arts Pathway offers an exploration of two-dimensional and three-dimensional concepts, mediums, tools, and applications necessary to the creation of quality artwork. The study of contemporary issues and theory equips the student with the ability to communicate effectively in the language of art and to investigate meaningful concepts of self-expression to produce an impactful Fine Arts portfolio.
- Includes Drawing, Painting, Print Media, Sculpture, Ceramics, Performance, Mixed Media, Photography, Creative Writing, and More
- Design Pathway offers a practice-based pathway built on the wide range of media art exploration using Design Thinking in theory and in practice by analyzing the space between society and technology. Students will develop a personalized aesthetic throughout to build a simple, but impactful Design portfolio.
- Includes Digital Literacy, Graphic Design, Dark Room Photography, Typography, Photoshop, Illustrator, Creative Writing and More.
In combination with a chosen Pathway, students will take conceptually-based First Year courses where they can develop their portfolio with a variety of self-chosen media.
- Ideation Studio
- Discovery Studio
- Voice Studio
- Exhibition Studio
Open to incoming Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, and Recent Graduates
Program Date and Time: July 5th - July 25th, 2020
- Student Orientation
- Residential Move-In
July 6th - July 24th
- Admissions Review
- Move Out Date
Classes are held from 9 am - 4 pm. Mon-Fri
Studio Time, Artist Visits and Field Trips in the evenings and on Saturdays.
Accommodations & Meals
Students can choose to be a residential student or commuting student. Residential accommodations are located in AAC's loft-style dorm rooms that include the latest modern amenities for student living, located around the corner from the main campus building on Jackson Street. The residence hall is monitored 24/7 by trained Residential Advisors and Security. The main campus is open to all Future BFA students during evening and weekend hours for studio and lab use.
- AAC does not provide meal plans. Residential students should plan to bring funds for their meal expenses, such as grocery shopping or dining out. Dorms are equipped with a refrigerator, a kitchen, and a laundry washer and dryer. Recommended to bring groceries with you on Orientation Day. Approximate cost: $300
- A Parking Pass is available to purchase upon request for 100$ for the July session.
- Some supplies are covered in tuition costs. An additional supply list will be provided after acceptance into the program.
- Future BFA prep program Scholarships are awarded on need and merit basis. Scholastic Key Awards qualify for a scholarship. When applying please state your interest and need in a scholarship to participate in the AAC's Future BFA program.
- Students are awarded a $1,000 scholarship upon acceptance into our 4-year BFA program for their completion of the AAC Future BFA prep program.
How to Apply?
- Fill out the application, submitting up to 5 images of current art, design, or creative writing work.
Register, and submit your deposit.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 513-562-6261 for questions, more details or assistance in applying.